I’ve figured out why there were corruption/slow UI issues when people upgraded.    It’s because Android stores “resources” like images and XML in a table.  When you upgrade and the resources change (which isn’t every upgrade) the old table is still in memory, so the system will grab the wrong data, which can cause memory corruption and other oddness.

There’s nothing I can do about it other than warn people if they need to reboot after upgrading because I’ve changed resources.   I’l add that for 0.6.5

In the meantime, Monday a new version will be released that speeds up the UI on machines with lower memory.

Advertisements